Join us in supporting the fight against ALS!
Give a tax deductible donation towards one of our team members and/or join our team. Help The ALS Association get closer to treatments and a cure. Please know any amount helps and every dollar makes a difference. The more, the merrier, and together, we will have an EPIC time on the slopes at Mt. Hood Meadows. We encourage you get your friends, family, neighbors and coworkers involved!
Why We Need Your Help
Often referred to as Lou Gehrig's Disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a progressive, fatal neuromuscular disease that slowly robs a person of their ability to walk, speak, swallow and eventually breathe. The life expectancy of a person with ALS averages only 2 to 5 years from the time of diagnosis. In a very short period of time, the person and their family need a myriad of services and support. Every 90 minutes a person in this country is diagnosed with ALS and every 90 minutes another person will lose their battle against this disease. ALS occurs throughout the world with no racial, ethnic, or socioeconomic boundaries. This crippling disease can strike anyone.
Everything The ALS Association does advances the search for effective treatments and a cure. The ALS Association leads the way in global research, provides critical assistance for people living with ALS, coordinates multidisciplinary care through certified clinical care centers, and fosters government partnerships. All of these efforts must happen in an effort to defeat ALS!
Throughout the State of Oregon and the six counties of SW Washington, The ALS Association’s local chapter exists to provide critical programs and care services, free of charge, such as, but not limited to:
· On-staff Care Services Coordinators who offer individual support and home visits to assess needs, suggest equipment, connect with local resources and help families plan.
· ALS Association Certified Centers of Excellence and Clinic partnerships with Providence Brain & Spine Institute, Portland VA Health System, OHSU, Kaiser Permanente, St. Charles Health System, The Center and Asante Health System.
· Medical Equipment Program in partnership with Numotion and Norco Medical to loan equipment to aid in daily living activities and with mobility.
· Chapter Grant Program that funds a myriad of reimbursable, ALS-related expenses such as respite care, counseling, co-pays for healthcare costs, home modifications, and more.
· Monthly Support Group Program for people living with ALS, family members, and friends.
· Support and resources for children, in partnership with The Dougy Center, who have ALS in their families.
Help create change in the ALS community. Support our efforts by donating to a team member or joining our team today!